Monday, March 26, 2012

FillFactor considerations

I have a table with about 200 million rows of data. I add a couple million rows of data each week to the table in a single load process. The table is used for reporting purposes only and there are never (not intentionally at least) any updates or deletes to the table. The data is always being added to the "end" of the table with the new AsOfDate being the main factor in the clustered index.

My question is this: Since I'm not "inserting" rows that would split pages, should I have my FILLFACTOR for the table set to 100, or am I missing something? I obviously want to save physical hard drive space, but I also don't want to slow down the import process.

BTW, I'm using SQL2000

If you are certain that your data loads is 'always' putting the new data at the end of the clustered index, you may have a good case for NOT leaving empty space on the data pages -and a FILLFACTOR of 100 would be in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment